Home  >  FAQs  >  How do I change my last name after a divorce?

How do I change my last name after a divorce?

Reverting to your given last name is frequently an important aspect of finalizing a divorce for an individual, and there are a number of ways that you can go about returning to your previous name. Most commonly, your attorney can request that the judge include a formal order restoring your former name in your divorce decree, resolving the issue with no further effort on your part. If such an order is not included in your divorce decree, it will be necessary to seek a modification to your divorce decree. If you have documentation of your prior name, simply using your former name and requesting that it be changed on all personal records is usually sufficient.

If you have questions about the legal status of your name following divorce, call an experienced Houston divorce attorney at Holmes, Diggs & Sadler today at (713) 802-1777. We can answer any questions you may have.

Our Office Location

Holmes, Diggs & Sadler
5300 Memorial Dr #900
Houston, TX 77007
Phone: (713) 802-1777

Can We Help You?