Home  >  Child Custody  >  Enforcement of Child Support

Houston Enforcement of Child Support Attorneys

A custodial parent may be able to take legal action to fight for the enforcement of child support orders if his or her child’s other parent has not paid child support according to court orders. These enforcement actions are important for families who have not received the kind of material support they’re due according to the courts. This enforcement can be carried out by the Texas Attorney General’s Child Support Division once a custodian has taken the appropriate steps to file a claim.

At Holmes, Diggs & Sadler, we are dedicated to helping Houston parents handle their family law issues, including the formation, modification, and enforcement of child support agreements. Our lawyers understand how difficult it can be when one parent isn’t fulfilling his or her duties towards raising a child, and we can help you seek the fair financial support your family deserves.

Child Support Enforcement during COVID-19

Penalties Associated with the Enforcement of Child Support Orders

Parents seeking the enforcement of a child support order may be able to convince the state Child Support Division or the courts to take legal action against the parent who is behind on his or her support payments. These penalties, which can increase sharply depending on the amount owed or the amount of payments missed, may include the following:

  • Wage garnishment
  • Seizure of tax refund checks, lottery money, and any other money granted by the state or federal government
  • Suspension of licenses, including driving and professional licenses
  • Pursuing liens against a parent’s property or assets
  • Jail sentencing

In the most severe cases, a judge may determine that a parent dodging child support payments has shown considerable disregard for the court’s decisions and can subsequently jail that individual. Otherwise, most enforcement actions will result in financial penalties then paid back to the proper custodian.

Contact an Enforcement of Child Support Lawyer in Houston

If your child’s other parent isn’t fulfilling his or her end of a court-mandated child support agreement, there may be legal options available for the enforcement of child support. For more information about how to file this kind of child custody action in Houston, contact an attorney from Holmes, Diggs & Sadler today by calling (713) 802-1777.

Our Office Location

Holmes, Diggs & Sadler
5300 Memorial Dr #900
Houston, TX 77007
Phone: (713) 802-1777

Can We Help You?