Home  >  Practice Areas  >  Divorce  >  Enforcement of Orders

Houston Enforcement of Orders Lawyer

After spending time, money, and energy settling the practical issues involved in a divorce or other family matters, such as adoption and custody, it can be extremely frustrating when one of the involved parties fails to fulfill their obligations. Whether it is providing access to children, paying spousal support, or dividing assets following the split, the refusal of your ex-partner to comply with a court order leaves you with few options outside of legal action.

Fortunately, court orders are enforceable documents through a process known as enforcement through contempt. Should a party to a court order willfully fail to comply with their obligations and you can demonstrate this in court, they may be held in contempt of court and face serious criminal consequences. To learn more about your rights and options for forcing your ex-spouse to comply with the agreements made in court during divorce, call an experienced Houston enforcement of orders attorney at Holmes, Diggs & Sadler today at (713) 802-1777.

Enforceable Orders and Penalties for Non-Compliance

Not all violations of court orders can be punished with a ruling of contempt, so it is essential to know what your options are before attempting to take an issue to court. The following are a few of the family law related court orders that you may be able to enforce through contempt:

  • Child Support
  • Payment from existing sources of money
  • Alimony

A successful ruling of contempt will result in serious criminal penalties for the guilty party, such as the following:

  • Up to $500 in fines
  • Up to six months imprisonment in county jail

With the leverage of pending enforcement through contempt, a skilled attorney may be able to help you hold your ex-spouse accountable for their part of the court order.

Contact Us

At Holmes, Diggs & Sadler, our skilled legal team is dedicated to providing capable and effective representation to clients in any matter of family law. If a party to a court order is failing to comply with their obligations to you, call us today at (713) 802-1777 to speak with an experienced Houston divorce lawyer and learn more about your rights and legal options.


Our Office Location

Holmes, Diggs & Sadler
5300 Memorial Dr #900
Houston, TX 77007
Phone: (713) 802-1777

Can We Help You?