Houston/ Dallas International Divorce Lawyers
With many people living and working overseas in today’s globalized world, it has become increasingly common for marriages to occur between people who are citizens of different countries. However, in the event that marriage does not last, navigating such a divorce can be daunting. While there are laws that regulate international marriage and divorce, they are incredibly complex and difficult for the average person to navigate. For this reason, it pays to seek an international divorce lawyer from Holmes, Diggs & Sadler, who has intimate knowledge of the laws regarding national and international family law. We will be able to review the details of your case and guide through the legal process.
Since 1995, the international divorce attorneys at Holmes, Diggs & Sadler have successfully provided representation for international clients who have cases in Texas. Over the last 22 years, we have earned an international reputation for our favorable verdicts, significant settlements, and for our expertise in the intricacies of international law. Two of our lawyers are Board-Certified in Houston, including Cindy Diggs who has been selected as Super Lawyer in Family and Divorce by Texas Monthly for the last eight years. Our peers and clients alike recognize us as some of the most qualified family law attorneys in the counties we represent. When you choose us, you choose experience, knowledge, and dedication to helping you.
The qualified attorneys at Holmes, Diggs & Sadler have over 90 years of combined experience and are recognized at both local and international levels as top lawyers in international divorce disputes. We are committed to making our client’s situations better and simpler during their trying times of divorce. Our dynamic approach to international divorce is designed to provide our clients with a resolution tailored to their specific needs, whether it be through mediation and compromise or aggressive defense to legal opposition. If you need help with issues relating to international divorce, contact Holmes, Diggs & Sadler. Our top priority is to provide you with the legal representation you deserve: effective and driven. Contact us by chatting live with one of our representatives by clicking the orange banner to the left of your screen, fill out our email form, or call our offices at (713) 802-1777.
Do I Need an International Divorce Lawyer?
Yes, an experienced legal professional is essential in issues relating to international divorce. Our attorneys are experienced with the laws related to international family law including Mahr agreements and the Hauge Convention. These laws can vary from country to country and if not properly understood, can create many more problems, making the already stressful matter of divorce even more so.
The legal process can be overwhelming and challenging to comprehend. Let us take care of your case and lessen the stress of your divorce. We are prepared to protect your rights and interests and provide you with thoughtful legal guidance along the way.
Why Choose Holmes, Diggs & Sadler to Handle My Case?
We handle a host of issues relating to international divorce and family law. Our firm’s attorneys are especially qualified to achieve a satisfactory outcome of your case. These are some of the factors that set Holmes, Diggs & Sadler a tier above the rest:
- Experience: Holmes, Diggs & Sadler was founded in 1995 by Robert E. Holmes Jr, and have over 90 years of combined experience. Read the biographies of our Houston and Dallas attorneys to learn more about our dedicated approach to resolving international divorce disputes.
- Client Satisfaction: We understand the financial and emotional pressure divorces can cause for our clients. For this reason, it has become our mission for clients to receive high-quality service from our skilled and knowledgeable legal professionals. Our entire staff works hard to ensure our clients have all the information and peace of mind needed during this trying time. Read our glowing testimonials which detail our unparalleled consistency in providing our past and present clients with positive experiences through their divorce and family law cases.
- Our award-winning team: The divorce and family law attorneys at Holmes, Diggs & Sadler have earned national recognition for their work. Managing partner Cynthia Diggs is Board Certified in both Family Law and Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, was awarded AVVO’s Client’s Choice award for divorce, is a member and a past-president of the Association of Women Attorneys in Houston and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates. Robert E. Holmes Jr. has received numerous awards and is an elected member of the International Association of Matrimonial Lawyers’s Board of Managers. Judith Sadler is rated 10 out of 10 by AVVO, is included in Martindale Hubbell’s Preeminent Women Lawyer category, and was featured in the 2015 issue of Texas Super Lawyers Magazine.
Our lawyers have the knowledge, experience, and drive to handle any international divorce issue that may arise.
Types of Cases We Handle
The lawyers at Holmes, Diggs & Sadler have handled thousands of cases relating to international divorce and family law and especially focus on helping individuals who live and/or work in the United States and are not U.S. citizens. Though we’re based out of Houston, we are prepared to help international clients in a number of ways, including:
- International affairs/ international legal issues: International legal issues can vary from country to country. Our attorneys are knowledgeable on how to best handle the legal issue or affair you may have concerns or questions about.
- International divorce: There are several types of international divorces and each has varied considerations and complications. International divorces can be considerably more complex and difficult to understand, as laws in foreign countries can differ. That’s why it’s important that Texas state residents have a reputable law firm they can turn to during the process of their international divorce.
- Expatriate divorce and custody: Expatriates sometimes experience exceedingly difficult obstacles when confronting divorce and pursuing custody of their children. For example, expatriates do not always have the same level of support and can feel isolated when they’re outside of their home countries during the legal process. Additionally, the legal framework is more convoluted when the two members of the marriage are from different countries. If you are an expatriate pursuing a divorce, we encourage you to seek the legal guidance of an attorney with knowledge on the specifics of expatriate divorce and custody. Contact a Houston or Dallas divorce lawyer at Holmes, Diggs & Sadler for a consultation.
- Foreign divorce and custody: Divorce and custody abroad require that strict conditions are met in order for a divorce to be recognized and enforced. Our attorneys are skilled on the matter and are able to provide you with the legal guidance necessary to reach a successful divorce agreement.
- Mahr agreements: The Mahr agreements in marriage contracts can be difficult to fully comprehend, as the agreements are religious in nature instead of being a part of a standard civil marriage. The lawyers at Holmes, Diggs & Sadler are educated on the topic and can provide details on your legal rights on options in regard to Mahr agreements.
Read through some of our articles to get more in-depth information on your rights, the legal process and questions you may have regarding your situation. Our FAQ page is also a resource for questions you may have on the options that may be available for your case.
In the United States, thousands of people are affected by divorce, child support and custody, alimony, and other family issues every year. The laws in our country alone can be difficult to navigate, and thousands have gone through the much more complex process of divorce, child support, and visitation when the couple comes from two different countries.
According to a reported issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2015, 800,909 divorces and annulments were made at a rate of 3.1 per 1,000 of the total population. In 2016 there were 123,789 divorce cases in Texas. In 2015 there were 58,001 divorces in Texas involving children. And in 2013 13.4 million parents had custody of a child while their other parent lived elsewhere. The Congressional Research Service published an article on Child Support Enforcement and The Hauge Convention on Recovery of International Child Support detailing the United States’ instrument of ratification for the Convention. The Convention applies to cases being worked between 34 countries (including the United States and the European Union) that are party to it.
The divorce and family law attorneys with experience in international law know how difficult a divorce can be. We understand how anxiety and stress of a divorce case and custody battle can impact families. That’s why we are committed to providing Texas residents with unparalleled service when it comes to international affairs, expatriate divorce and custody, foreign affairs and custody, and Mahr agreements. At Holmes, Diggs & Sadler, we are dedicated to putting forth our most sincere and unmatched efforts to ensure our clients receive the effective legal representation they deserve.
Contact us by chatting live with one of our representatives by clicking the orange banner to the left of your screen, fill out our email form or call our offices at (713) 802-1777 today.